Monday, February 1, 2016

Semiya Payasum


     I'm from Kerala, which is a southern state in India. Wherever you go, no matter what restaurant, not matter what city in the state, there will be Semiya Payasum. It is one of my favorite desserts from my  culture. There are different types of payasums such as paal payasum, rava payasum and many more but semiya payasum is just my favorite.
     At my house, we don't make it all the time although I wish we would. Usually my mom makes it for my birthday because she knows how much I like it. Even at my house in India, we don't make it all the time. We make it on special occasions such as birthdays and weddings.
     Approximately, this takes twenty minutes to make. That's not too long. There are different ways people make it but I'll tell you about one way. First, you have to heat a pan with ghee. Then, you have to add nuts and wait till they turn golden. After that, add raisins. I personally add a lot of raisins because they just taste so good. After these steps just set this pan aside. Take another pan and put the semiya in it. You can buy a packet of semiya from a store which sells food from India. After putting in the semiya, you have to wait until it turns a golden brown color. After it turns brown then add milk and water and wait for it to boil. Also make sure the semiya is well cooked. After these steps, add sugar and stir everything together. Then, pour the payasum into a bowl and garnish it with the nuts and raisins we set aside. Now you're done! I definitely recommend making this, its delicious. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. That seems like such an interesting, delicious treat! I would love to try that, since I love trying new things. I think it is also fascinating how you have a house in India! I also like how you included the recipe, so it gives me an idea of what ingredients you use in it, and how long it takes to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad u liked it. It is really delicious. Yeah, I have a house in India. Two actually. One is where my mom grew up and the other is where my dad grew up, so technically it isn't our own house but it's owned by my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad u liked it. It is really delicious. Yeah, I have a house in India. Two actually. One is where my mom grew up and the other is where my dad grew up, so technically it isn't our own house but it's owned by my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete